The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) has invited Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to its annual States and Nation Policy Summit that will take place next month in Scottsdale, Arizona from December 4 - 6, 2019, according to an event invitation obtained by Documented via a state open records request.
DeVos previously spoke at ALEC’s 2017 annual meeting and if Pompeo is confirmed to speak, he will join a long list of other officials in the Trump administration who have participated in ALEC events. The list includes:
- Vice President Mike Pence (2018 ALEC Anniversary Gala)
- Office of Management and Budget Director and acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney (2018 States and Nation Policy Summit)
- White House Adviser Kellyanne Conway (2018 ALEC Anniversary Gala)
- Secretary of Energy Rick Perry (2018 ALEC Anniversary Gala, 2019 Annual Meeting)
- Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao (2018 Annual Meeting)
- Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex M. Azar II (2018 Annual Meeting)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson (2018 States and Nation Policy Summit)
- Then-Department of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke (2017 Annual Meeting)
- Assistant to the President for Intergovernmental and Technology Initiatives Brooke Rollins (2019 Annual Meeting)
- Special Assistant to the President James Redstone (2019 Annual Meeting)
- Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Director of Intergovernmental Affairs William Crozer (2019 Annual Meeting)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma (2019 States and Nation Policy Summit)
- Then-Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt was set to speak at the 2017 States and Nation Policy Summit but for no reason given publicly his appearance was cancelled.
- Then-EPA Senior Policy Advisor to the Administrator for the Office of Air and Radiation Mandy Gunasekara (2018 States and Nation Policy Summit)
- Then-EPA Office of Air and Radiation Deputy Assistant Administrator Clint Woods (2018 States and Nation Policy Summit)
- Department of Agriculture Assistant Secretary for Congressional Relations Ken Barbic (2018 States and Nation Policy Summit)
Documented previously reported Marc Lotter, the Director of Strategic Communications for the Trump 2020 campaign, also participated in ALEC’s 2019 annual meeting.
The invitation to the event, which highlights other speakers and “field trips” can be viewed below: